Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Avatar - a New Form of Computer Addiction.

Avatar is an immersive 3D world created on a computer. And its having strange effects on some viewers of the movie. And its not just the motion sickness that some have reported.

"I wasn't depressed myself. In fact the movie made me happy ," Baghdassarian said. "But I can understand why it made people depressed. The movie was so beautiful and it showed something we don't have here on Earth. I think people saw we could be living in a completely different world and that caused them to be depressed.


"I even contemplate suicide thinking that if I do it I will be rebirthed in a world similar to Pandora and the everything is the same as in 'Avatar.'


This quote, I think, has the meat of it:

"When I woke up this morning after watching Avatar for the first time yesterday, the world seemed ... gray. It was like my whole life, everything I've done and worked for, lost its meaning," Hill wrote on the forum. "It just seems so ... meaningless. I still don't really see any reason to keep ... doing things at all. I live in a dying world." Reached via e-mail in Sweden where he is studying game design, Hill, 17, explained that his feelings of despair made him desperately want to escape reality.


We become virtual world addicts because modern life around us is so drained of real experience that virtual experience seems to be the only thing that can fill the hunger. I have no doubt more immersive virtual environments will come into being. There's a ton of addict's money "in them thar hills."

Which also reminds me that the bright side of this is that we do indeed have a latent population of people who are already ready to colonize other planets. The astronomers are discovering new extra-solar planets every day. Eventually, an earth-like one may turn up. Then its only a matter of time before something like a "warp drive" is invented. And then AWAY WE GO!

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/11/avatar.movie.blues/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment