Tuesday, December 22, 2009

911 Call Over Video Game Obsession.

The Boston Herald by way of Drudge Report.

It’s game over for a 14-year-old Roxbury boy, whose overwhelmed mother was so exasperated with his incessant video game playing that she called the cops on him.


Grand Thief Auto of course. Having been stopped in the middle of Mercenaries 2, I sympathise with the kid.

“Clearly, it’s a very, very rare situation for someone to call the cops. That she went to the extreme of calling the police tells me more about her level of frustration than anything else,” Kutner said.


Un huh. Uh huh. Uh huh.

“Sometimes I want to run away, too,” Mejia said, breaking down in tears in her immaculate apartment. “I have support from my church, but I’m alone. I want to help my son, but I can’t find a way.”


immaculate apartment And you've got a 14-year old boy in it? No wonder the kid wants to retreat into The Matrix.

Addendum:

I'm a little late to this party, but David Walsh's National Institute on Media and the Family is closing its doors, victim of the on-going recession. And kind of parallel with the dropping revenues of the game companies. "Thou wilt perish, 'ere I perish."

The National Institute on Media and the Family, if you are not aware, was one of the forces behind the gaming industry adopting rating systems similiar to the movie rating system. But I can't help calling it David Walsh's National Institute on Media and the Family, because the story contains this little fact:

Walsh, the group’s founder and president, is packing his books as his staff of eight full-time employees prepares to shut down Dec. 23.


That's it? Nine people and a website? And its called The National Institute on Media and the Family? As if it were The National Institute of Mental Health?

Maybe me and a few of my friends can get together and create The National Institute for Buying Any Dog Gone Thing You Want To, Anytime You Want To. Then we can put up a website and sway nations and make kings.

What can you say about something like this except?

No comments:

Post a Comment